Method 1: Using Bitlocker
Things to Know before Diving into Bitlocker
- For best result of using Bitlocker, your computer must be equipped with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip which enables your devices to support advanced security features.
- You can use the Bitlocker without a TPM chip by using software-based encryption, but it requires some extra steps for additional authentication.
Steps about How to Use Bitlocker to Encrypt External Hard Drive
Using Professional Data Protection Software
Get Overall Protection to Privacy Data with Renee File Protector
Password protects folder and files in external memory device like USB disk, memory card, etc.
Password protect network folders to ensure corret users get access to correct shared folder.
Supports to hide, lock folders/files/parititon in local disk.
Erase data you select forever without trace. Protect your personal data!
Compatiable with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP
How to Encrypt External Hard Drive with Renee File Protector
Step 1: Launch Renee File Protector and click “Lock File” in “External Disk”. Then connect your external hard disk to computer.
Step 2: Click “Lock Folder” on the right side and select the target folder in external hard drive.
Step 3: Set password for the target folder in external disk.
- Use the password of Renee File Protector: If users select this password mode, the unlock password of the target locked folder will be the same with the login password of Renee File Protector.
- Independent password: If users type the password in the “Password” item, the unlock password of the target locked folder will be the one that users set. User can set different password for different folder if using this mode.
- New version of Renee File Protector provides “Guest Password” which can authorize users to check the files but can not unlock.
Step 4: After encrypting folders in external memory device.
Notice: Please do not delete or move the exe file. Any delete or move action may make you lose the way to regain access to the locked folder.
How to Unlock the Folder Permanently in External Hard Drive
Unlock in Other Computer (Without Renee File Protector)
Step 1: Double click the “EXE” file and then enter the password you set in the pop up window.
Step 2: If you want to unlock the folder permanently, please click “Unlock” in the floating window and confirm the operation after unlock.
Unlock with Renee File Protector
②. Select the target folder(s).
③. Click “Unlock” button.
④. Enter the password you set.
Relate Links :
Jennifer Thatcher : Regularly share files over LAN or Network. Want to provide password protection to shared network folder? Here we...
John Weaver : How protect some folders in your Windows account being spied by the other administrator? Try professional data protection...