- Physical reasons: poor connection, etc.
- Electrical failures: inner component of the USB flash drive fails to work. Like drop the USB flash drive into water, lifespan of USB flash drive reach its end, ect.
- Logical reasons: related to file system of USB flash drive and Windows computer configuration. Such as getting notification of USB flash drive not initialize or not recognized in this computer.
However, USB flash drive is important because it save lots important and private data for users. If we format the USB flash drive to regain its function, we will lost all important data inside.
Situation 1: Receive that “You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it.” and can not access to data inside
- User does not remove the USB flash drive with the eject function in Windows after using the USB flash drive.
- Save plenty of files to the USB flash drive in a short time (Generally in Windows XP).
Step 1: Confirm the file system of the USB flash drive.
Step 2: Recover important data from USB flash drive with data recovery software.
- Select target disk in Photorec -
- Check scan result in Photorec -
Preparation: Download and install Renee Undeleter.
Step 1: Launch Renee Undeleter and select “Whole Partition Scan”.
Step 2: When the software scan, we can preview the files in the scan result.
Step 3: Repair the SD card after data recovery
Method 1: Repair USB flash drive with Windows built-in chkdsk tool
1. Press Win + S button and type “cmd” in the pop-up window. Right click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”.
2. Type “chkdsk X:/F”. Please modify the X to the drive letter of your USB flash drive. And /F means fix the USB flash drive.
Method 2: Format USB flash drive with built-in Windows format tool
Step 4: Get access to files inside the USB flash drive with other third party software.
Situation 2: Windows notifies that “USB Devices Not Recognized” after connect USB flash drive to PC
Method 1: Restart PC and change the USB settings in BIOS
Method 2: Uninstall related driver of USB ports and do not eject or remove the USB disk. Restart the PC
Situation 3: Computer can not recognize the correct capacity of the USB flash drive or require to connect the disk
- Clone the USB flash drive with smaller capacity to another one with larger capacity with clone software which does not support size extend. And the software make them with the same capacity.
- Some incorrect operations or the controller of USB flash drive which was influent by the magnetic materials like cell phone will mess up the control information of the USB flash drive. As a result, Windows can not recognized the USB flash drive as usual. Even you connect the USB flash drive to computer, it will ask you to connect the disk.
Method 1: Low Level Format the USB flash drive
Low level format will erase all file and data from the disk and factory reset the disk. There are lots of tools which can help users low level format the USB flash drive.
Option 1: Format Utility
Download link: http://www.drfreeware.org/kingston_format_utility.exe
Option 2: LLFtool – HDD Low Level Format Tool
Download link: http://www.drfreeware.org/HDDLLF.4.40.exe
Method 2: Mass-produce USB flash drive
Step 1: Controller in the USB flash drive will be different even they are produced by same manufacturer. The first thing is to find out the brand of the controller. And then find the related mass production tool.
Here, we recommend ChipGenius.（Download link: http://www.drfreeware.org/ChipGenius_v4_18_0203.zip）
Step 2: ChipGenius can help uses find out the manufacturer of the controller vendor in USB flash drive. Then please find the related production tool.
Here, we can find out that the manufacturer of controller vendor is Phison. You can find related mass production tool for Phison on the Internet and mass produce the USB flash drive.
Step 3: After mass produce, the USB flash drive can be used normally.
And if it does not work, please refer to Situation 4: Windows does not have any notification after connect the USB flash drive“.
Please do not place the USB flash drive in any place with magnetic materials like cell phone.
Situation 4: Windows does not have any notification after connect the USB flash drive
If you can not access data in the USB flash drive after connecting to another PC, the USB flash drive could get some thing wrong. Here, please go to “Step 1“.
Step 1: Find out the reasons which caused the USB flash drive not showing up in the PC / PC can recognized the USB flash drive but does not have the drive letter.
1). Press “Win” + “R”. Type diskmgmt.msc in the pop up window and click “OK”.
2). If you can not find the USB flash drive was marked with RAW in the Disk Management, please go to “Step 2” directly.
3). If USB flash drive is marked with “RAW” and does not have drive letter, please format the USB flash drive directly.
Right click the disk and select “Allocate drive letter and path” in the menu and follow the guidance.
Step 2: If we could not find any USB flash drive in the Disk Management, it could be caused by the USB disabled in Windows.
However, if the computer manager disable the use of removable storage devices with some third party software like Renee USB Block. If your computer has been disabled the use of removable storage device in this way, you need to apply for the permission.
1). Press “Win” + “R”. Type regedit in the pop up window and click “OK”.
2). Find the value of “Start” through the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR
3). If the value is 4, please double click “Start” and change it to be 3.
4). Restart the PC and the USB flash drive will work normally.
Situation 5: Require to enter the correct password to access data inside
Step 1: Check whether it’s virus which lead to the USB flash drive recognition failure.
If you encounter similar situation, please try to recover important data encrypted by Wannacry. If there is not any important files, please format the USB flash drive directly.
Step 2: Check whether the disk is encrypted by some system encrypted software.
Please do not download or run files from un-trusted website. And do not handle USB flash drive with important data inside to someone you are not familiar with.
Situation 6: USB flash drive get hot after connect to PC for a while and Windows does not have any notification
- Blow the USB flash drive with hot mode in hair dryer for about 3-5 minutes. Place the USB flash drive with desiccant in sealable package. Seal the package and place for over 24 hours.
- If the methods above do not work, please open the case of the USB flash drive and clean the inside carefully.
Please do no place the USB flash drive in somewhere moist or dusty.
Relate Links :
John Weaver : We may received notification like SD card/Micro SD card is write protected when trying to save new data...
John Weaver : Take photos and videos with cameras or Android phone and save in SD card. But SD card inside...