- If you want to get more about how to fix the SSD, please click Solved: Hard Drive/SSD Not Showing Up or Recognized in Windows 10/8.1/8/7 for more information.
- If your removable disk gets to be RAW suddenly, please click USB Device not Recognized in Windows 10/8/7 to find solution.
2. What does Bad Sector Bring?
2. Users can hear some noise when disk running and Windows may notifies users that the file is inaccessible.
3. Disk can not boot. Users could find the drive letter of the disk but can not make any changes. Some even could not find the drive letter.
4. Repeat to access the files when users want to access it. And notifies the file is corrupted. Or take a long time to access the file
5. System can not boot as usual and pop up notification like “Sector not found” or “General error in reading drive C”
6. Can not format the disk and report error
7. Run Scandisk to find disk error automatically every time user start the PC
8. Windows notifies that “Windows detected a hard drive problem”
3. How to Deal with Hard drive with Bad Sector?
Physical bad sector: The hard drive’s head may fail to read data in the disk. Or the reading time is longer than before. If users keep using the disk with physical bad sectors, sectors near the physical bad sector will fail to work generally.
4. Process of Repairing Bad Sectors in Windows 10/8/7?
Step 1: Get more information about how many bad sectors in the hard drive with bad sector detection tools.
Here, we recommend the free detection tool: HDD-SCAN (Click here to download the software)。
AS we can see in the scan result, lots of bad sectors are found when the scan process to 78%.
Besides, HDD-SCAN can export the scan result with detailed information of the bad sectors.
Step 2: Contact with the HDD manufacturer and get the repair tools to repair bad sectors.
Seagate & Maxtor
1. Download and install SealTools.
2. Please burn the iso file to disc with freeware ImgBurn.（Download ImgBurn）
3. Please boot the computer from the disc after burning. Please select “Basic” -> “Long Test” to find and fix bad sectors.
After installation, please double-click the disk icon for further operation.
Test and Repair Tools form other Hard drive Manufacturers
Built-in Disk Repair Tools in Windows 10/8/7
1. Press Win + R button and type “diskmgmt.msc” in the pop-up window. Click “OK”.
2. Right click the target partition in the disk and select “Properties” in the menu.
3. Click “Check now” button in “Tools” tab.
4. Remember to check the item “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” in the pop up window if you are using Windows 7/8.
If you want to fix this problem, low level format is the only choice, which could not solve this problem sometimes. Or you can replace the hard drive.
Step 3: If there are still lots of bad sectors after fix or they get corrupted again, we should purchase a new hard drive.
More Functions in Renee Becca
New version of Renee Becca can clone entire HDD to SSD with smaller size.
Support to set automatically backup plan and more customized backup options are provided in the software.
Support to clone/migrate data in disk with MBR or GPT format.
New disk could be used to boot the computer once clone finish.
Support to migrate system from HDD to SSD.
Compatible with Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP/2008/2012 (32bit/64bit) / server 2008
5. Low Level Format
6. Fix 0 Cylinder Error
Without the 0 Cylinder, computer can not boot as usual and fails to partition and format.
We can find back important data from the disk with data recovery software which is equipped with partition table rebuild function. Then we can make the 1 cylinder to be the 0 cylinder with special third party tools.
Step 1: Take off the hard drive and connect it to another computer which can work normally.
Step 2: Please recover important data from the disk with data recovery software which is equipped with partition table rebuilt function.
Professional Data Recovery Software - Renee Undeleter
Supports to recover files in different formats, like photos, videos, music, Office files, Outlook email, software installer, etc.
Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions.
100% Safe. Scanning disk with Renee Undeleter will not damage or delete any files or data inside hte target disk.
Easy to go software interface.
Step 3: Fix the 0 Cylinder with PCTOOLS or Disk Manager.
Please note that XXX here means the ending cylinder of the partition and please modify the value according to your need.
Relate Links :
Ashley S. Miller : It is common that we may find that the connected USB flash drive not showing up, recognized or...
John Weaver : We may received notification like SD card/Micro SD card is write protected when trying to save new data...